Avoid Getting Sick from Food when Traveling
From Tips and Steps
Looking for more informationType Avoid Getting Sick from Food when Traveling into the search box below.
Here are some home remedies to prevent stomach related illneses while traveling in places with poor sanitation.
- Add a capfull of white vinegar to every 8oz of water, this creates an acidic environment that most microbes can't live in   (kills germs but does NOT eliminate toxins) AND the accumulation of vinegar gives your skin a bad taste so that mosquitoes (and other insects) won't bite you. 
- In new environments, especially when eating seafood in foreign countries, always eat very spicy foods or accompany your meal with at least 1oz of hard alcohol. While this might kill some microbes, it should not be considered a fail safe method. These two factors are best done at the time of consumption, or just before, but it is only slightly reduced if taken right after consumption. Avoid prolonged periods between either treatments and meals.
- These home remedies are not 100% effective and should only be used if no other sanitary solution is available. Results vary.
- Don't buy sushi from rest stops!
- Be polite! Do not insult your host needlessly. For many Americans, it is cliche to think of other countries as unsanitary. Please notice the current state of the American food system before you make any comment that could be construed as rude towards any other country. Keep in mind that some countries have far superior food checking systems than the broken American way.
Things You'll Need
- spicy food
Related Tips and Steps
- How to Be Safe in a Foreign Country
- How to Travel Overseas by Oneself
- How to Say "I Am a Vegetarian" in Foreign Languages