Cook Oatmeal in a Slow Cooker
Want to have delicious oatmeal in the morning but don't have time to cook it? You can use this method to cook oatmeal overnight and enjoy it when you wake up in the morning! This makes 5 big servings and is very thick 'stick-to-your-ribs' kind of oatmeal.
- 1 2/3 cups oats (steel-cut or old-fashioned rolled, not instant)
- 4 cups water/milk
- pinch salt
- Buy some steel-cut oats, or old-fashioned rolled oats. This method will NOT work with instant oats-- you'll just end up with a disgusting, soggy mess. Steel cut oats can usually be found in a local supermarket. If you can't find them there, visit a health food store.
- Combine oats, water/milk, and salt in your crock pot. Stir.
- Cover and cook for 7-8 hours on low heat.
- If you want to enjoy this oatmeal in less than 7 hours you could cook it on high for about 2-3 hours
- The amount of time needed to cook this meal depends on the crock pot. You may need to experiment with what cooking times and heat settings work best for your machine.
- Be careful not to add too much water or the whole thing will be very soggy and unappetizing.
- This oatmeal doesn't taste very good reheated, so be careful not to make too much.
Things You'll Need
- slow cooker
- Measuring cups