Difficulties for the parent and their partner
Parents can face problems adjusting to their new family, including:
- One or both partners may bring hang-ups and unresolved feelings from their prior failed relationship into the current situation.
- Disciplining someone else’s child can cause resentments.
- There could be unexpected problems with child maintenance or access visits.
- The partners may have conflicting visions of family life or different rules for the home.
- A parent/partner may not like their partner’s children.
- Even positive change can be stressful.