Make Vanilla Custard
Heading off for a family get together, pot luck or just looking for something delicious to make? Why not try making some Vanilla Custard? It is the perfect choice for a dessert course!
- 6 egg yolks
- 3 ½ oz sugar
- 7 ¾ fl oz milk
- 7 ¾ fl oz cream
- 1 vanilla pod
- 2 bowls
- 1 saucepan
- 1 whisk
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 sieve
- 1 cutting board
- 1 knife
- Start by cutting the vanilla pod lengthwise without cutting it all the way through.
- Scrape the pulp from the inside and put both the pod and the pulp into a pan.
- Place the pan over a medium heat while slowly stirring in the cream and milk, being careful not to let it boil.
- Mix the yolk and sugar together in a bowl with the whisk, blending well until the mixture turns pale.
- Continue to whisk the yolk and sugar,and slowly add some of the milk into the bowl a little at a time.
- Place the mixture over a medium heat while slowly stirring using the wooden spoon.
- Make sure that after removing the custard from the heat you immediately pour it through a sieve and strain. It needs to have a smooth but slightly clingy consistency.
- Serve your custard with fresh berries or any puddings and serve it either hot or cold.
- The sauce is thick enough when you can draw a line along the surface of the spoon with your finger and the line remains visible.
- The custard should never be allowed to come to a boil. The moment it begins to thicken, remove from the heat. If it's overcooked the custard will curdle and you'll have to start again!
Related Tips and Steps
- How to Make English Custard
- How to Make Real Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- How to Make Pumpkin Custard Pie
- How to Make Banana Pudding
- How to Make Rhubarb Ice Cream
Sources and Citations
- VideoJug - Original source of this information. Shared with permission.
WIN a Tassie holiday worth $8,000
Request your free interactive e-guide to discover the highlights of Tasmania. Plus, you’ll go into the draw to WIN a dream Tassie driving holiday package valued at over $8,000!
GRAND PRIZE INCLUDES:
- $1,500 Spirit of Tasmania gift voucher
- $5,000 spending money
- $1,000 Kathmandu gift card
- $500 BP petrol gift card
- GoPro camera
Enter to the draw to win a Tassie Driving Adventure