We have entered the post-American era
Pax Americana is dead. We have entered a post-American world.Too hasty? Well, according to the Economist magazine the American President is no longer the world's most powerful leader. That mantle belongs to China's Xi Jinping.
It is Xi who talks about being the champion of globalisation and international trade, while Donald Trump's mantra is "America first".
At risk is a global order imagined by Woodrow Wilson, the US president during World War I: democracy, capitalism, interventionism, that laid a platform for economic growth, innovation and human rights.
Political scientist Joseph Nye saw this future more than a decade ago when he published The Paradox of American Power.
Writing after the September 11 terror attack, Mr Nye warned about the dangers of American complacency.
- Justine Damond police shooting shows the gulf between America and Australia
- Helicopter crashes on Barrier Reef pontoon in North Queensland
- Kaurna people granted native title rights in Adelaide 18 years after claim
- How do you spot a fake charity collector?
- Tathra bushfire - Family overjoyed after finding dogs left behind survived blaze unscathed