Cook Myanmar Mohinga?
From Tips and Steps
- Wash fish clean; rub with fish sauce and some salt. Cut the fish into three pieces and put them in a pot with some lemon grass stalks. You don’t have to put water. Or just add a bit of water. When the fish is cooked enough to flake off easily, put it down. Take out flesh and set it aside. Take out the fish bones and pound them. When you pound the bones, put some water, so as to get some fish stock out of the bones. You can throw the bones away when there is no fish stock to get out of the bones.
- Cut about 15 ticals of the onions into thin slices, fry them and take out from the oil after you get a reddish brown color. Do not throw away the oil.
- Cut the rest of the onions into four pieces.
- Pound ginger, some onions and garlic as required amount.
- Heat the oil that you fried the onions with. When the oil is smoking, fry pounded ginger, onions and garlic with some paprika till fragrant. Then add the fish stock/broth that made out of the fish bones.
- Then add the gram flour, rice powder in water into the pot. Stir well to prevent sticking of paste.
- When all is hot and boiling, put big onion pieces in the pot. You can also add banana stem (1’ length) if you like. Remove the outer layers of the stem and cut rings from tender insides. Pound and add lemon grass bulb.
- When it starts to boil, you don’t have to stir all the time. You can add the flaked fish now. Add fish sauce/shrimp sauce to taste.
- When the mo-hinga soup is cooked, put the pot on low heat. You then add pepper powder and fried onions into the pot. Keep the pot hot at low heat about 30 minutes.
- Serve in soup plates, putting half-cup vermicelli and the soup.
- You can add chopped coriander leaves, spring onions, gourd fritters, bean crisps, boiled eggs and fish pallets to eat with mo-hinga.
- 1. Fried garlic
- 2. Coriander leaves
- 3. fish sauce
- 4. Fried fish pallets
- 5. Boiled egg
- 6. Roosted chili powder
- 7. Vermicelli
- 8. Fried gourd
- 9. bean crisps
- 10. Gravy of mohinga
- Please cook in big pot to boil enough so that the soup can't flood out from pot.
- Be careful to take out the fish bone thoroughly before putting the fish flesh into soup.
Things You'll Need
- Catfish 35 ticals (1.3 lbs) <1 viss = 3.6 pounds = 100 ticals , 27.7 ticals = 1 pound, 1 tical = 0.57 ounces>
- Fish Sauce/Lobster Sauce/Shrimp Sauce 15 ticals (0.5 lbs)
- Onion 25 ticals (0.9 lbs)
- Garlic 10 ticals (0.36 lbs)
- Ginger 1 tical (0.57 oz)
- Rice Flour, Cooked Gram Flour (bean powder) 3 lbs each
- Paprika Some, about 1 tsp
- Pepper Some
- Oil 25 ticals (about 1lbs) (1.5 cup)
- Lemon grass (suggested) 1 bulb and stalks
- Vermicelli 5 lbs
Related Tips and Steps
- How to Make Chicken Soup
- How to Make Cabbage Soup
- How to Make Broccoli Cheese Soup
- How to Cook Ramen and Meatball Soup