From Tips and Steps
Revive Limp Celery?
Celery that has gone limp during storage can be saved and used. Try these easy steps before tossing it into the garbage and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
- Cut the celery into sticks. This means removing the base and the leaf ends.
- Place the cut sticks into a bowl of iced water. Leave for half an hour.
- Use. The sticks should be revived and as good as new.
- Refresh the entire celery (head of celery). If you need to revive all of the celery, cut a thin slice off the root end of the celery and stand this end in the bowl of ice water for up to half an hour. Again, it should revive well and be ready for immediate use.
- This is a great exercise to try with the kids as they will enjoy seeing the celery "come back to life"; for a kid's science experiment using celery, try changing the colour of a celery stalk.
- Enjoy a healthy snack by filling the inside of the celery with cream cheese, or any other spreadable cheese. This makes a great treat anytime with any meal.
Things You'll Need
- Bowl of ice water - a bowl with ice cubes in it will work fine
- Cutting board and knife
- Recipe for celery (optional)